Tuesday, April 9, 2013

pioneer diary entry

Dear Diary,
Ever since we left home we have been squeezed onto this boat with many other travelers.  The trip is long and hard and I almost regret it.  Only telling myself that a trip by wagon would be longer and that the trip will be worth it in the end gets me through the tougher days.  There are days where we stop at a town when we reach a lock in the canal.  We can get off and sometimes spend the night there.  Even just getting off of the canal helps me to feel better about this trip.  I always hope to see someone who I know from back home in one of the towns.  I know that it is unlikely though because nearly everyone I knew who made the trip stopped and bought land along the canal.  Land was being sold for low prices in the areas alongside the canal, so many people stopped their journey and settled down along the way.  Even in such a crowded ship, I'm still so very lonely.  Only the promise of a good future and a new life out west keeps me going these days.  I hope the journey ends soon, both because of my excitement for my new life, and because it will end this dull trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment