Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 3 Post

Yesterday we had another EdCafe.  It was rather disappointing.  There was hardly any discussion, and when there was it was forced and short.  All we really did was talk about an event while everyone silently took notes.  It was not very interesting and I got bored pretty quickly.  I also ended up not filling the whole eight minutes even though I had twice as many preparation notes as last time.  I think that if we had gone a little further into these events in class before the EdCafe we could have had better discussions because we would have developed stronger opinions on it.  If we were to do the EdCafe tomorrow rather than yesterday, then I think that there would be a lot of things to discuss.

Today in class we talked a little about the events we did the EdCafe on.  We went over it in more detail.  It definitely changed my view on the colonists.  Whenever we hear about what happened, it seems like they were such admirable and brave people fighting for liberty.  Now it seems that they really just acted like sadistic children with weapons.  Some of their actions were rather disgusting, actually.  for example, they had no right to do such horrible things to the tax collectors.  These people were just doing their jobs, but what did the colonists do?  Hanged some of them and tarred and feathered the rest.  That is absolutely uncalled for.  The tea incident was downright irresponsible.  It's nothing more than overgrown children throwing temper tantrums.  Sure, I'm all for us winning our freedom, and I know that the British weren't all pure and innocent either, but that doesn't make these things okay.  Hmph. ...Afterwards, we read an irritating poem about Paul Revere's ride.  It was irritating because it had so much extra unnecessary detail and didn't even do anything artful or clever with it.  Now if it had done it well, then a lot of the extra detail would be forgivable.   Instead, it just doubled the length of the already painful poem.  It was so drab and dull and repetitive.  It wasn't even historically accurate!  That's where our class work came in.  We had to write a sonnet about the ride that was historically accurate.  Mine ended up being somewhat decent, I suppose, but I'm certainly not a great poet.  I lost a bit of respect for Paul Revere today.  When I first learned about him I thought he was a pretty cool guy.  Now I kind of resent him for being so cruel to that poor horse.  I mean, come on, man!  You have to give the poor thing a rest every once in a while!  Other than that,  I guess he's still a pretty good guy.

...I think I'm having an angry day today... ಠ_ಠ

No comments:

Post a Comment